Options & Services

Domestic violence or dating abuse is both a criminal and a university offense. Criminal charges can be filed through the Rutgers University Police Department, or through the municipality where the incident occurred, where the abuser lives, or where you live. You may also apply for a temporary restraining order.  This is a civil action compelling the abuser to, among other things; refrain from having contact with you.
If the abuser is also a Rutgers student, you may file a complaint through the Sexual Harassment, Sexual Violence, Relationship Violence, Stalking and Related Misconduct process.  To file such a complaint, fill out an incident report form. You can contact the Title IX Coordinator, Allison Wisniewski at aemery@camden.rutgers.edu or by phone: (856) 225-6425. You can also call the VPVA office at (856) 225-2326.
Keep in mind that a counselor or advocate from our office can accompany you to the police,the Title IX Office, or to court. It is important for victims of dating/domestic violence to create a safety plan to address risks created by the abuser and help to minimize the risk of an abusive incident. For help creating a safety plan, please contact VPVA at (856) 225-2326 or by email: lluciano@rutgers.edu.